How to nominate
You can only nominate or support one candidate per year.
Country or regional boards, branches and forums can submit group nominations.
RCN staff and RCN Council members cannot submit nominations for this award.
Nominees for the RCN Fellowship must be on the NMC register and have been a member of the RCN for at least five years.
Current members of RCN Council are not eligible to be nominated.
Support for your nomination
You will need three other people to support your nomination. They do not have to be RCN members but must not be RCN staff or RCN Council members.
Each supporting statement should show how the nominee has made an exceptional contribution to nursing or health care.
The recommendations should come from a range of backgrounds to show the reach of the nominee’s work.
We advise that you do not tell the nominee about the nomination, so they will not be disappointed if it is unsuccessful.
What to submit
The nominator and supporters should write testimonials about the nominee and submit these with the form.
Download How to write a successful supporting statement for more information.
You also need to submit contact details and the nominee’s CV. We understand that it is hard to find out details about another person – especially while keeping it a secret – so just put as much information as you can. We can, for example, find the person’s RCN membership number for you.
How the decision gets made
Eligible nominations will be considered by the Awards Committee and evaluated against the following six criteria:
- Innovation/unique contribution - what has the nominee contributed that is new in terms of nursing knowledge or practice?
- Originality - to what extent is the nominee's work totally original in context or application?
- Evaluation - has the nominee's work been rigorously tested, for example through peer review?
- Dissemination - has the nominee's work been shared with the rest of the profession or made an impact outside of nursing?
- Transferability - to what extent has the nominee's work been incorporated more widely into nursing or used as a model in other fields of nursing?
- Recognition - to what extent is the nominee and their work recognised by others working in the same field?
When to submit
Nominations received by Wednesday 5 February 2020 will be put forward for consideration by the Awards Committee for presentation at Congress 2020 in Liverpool.