Claiming tax relief on RCN subscriptions

As a UK tax payer, you could save money through tax relief on your RCN membership fees for this year. And better still, if this is the first time you have claimed tax relief, you can do so for the current tax year and also backdate a claim for the previous four tax years. To make a backdated claim, please contact RCN Direct on 0345 772 6100 (option one) or email the membership team.

How do I claim tax relief?

RCN members receive a claim form in their annual membership pack. If you don't have that you can download a tax relief form (PDF 118KB) [see how to access PDF files].  

What can I claim?

You may be eligible to claim tax relief on:

Please note that HM Revenue and Customs information states there are time limits for making a backdated tax relief claim. This is generally four years prior to the current tax year, but this may depend on your personal circumstances. There are also deadlines for getting your claim to HMRC. Detailed information on making a claim is available from HM Revenue and Customs on 0845 300 0627 or online on the HMRC website.

Who can claim?

All members that are UK tax payers can claim tax relief on their RCN membership fees. If this is your first time to claim tax relief, you can claim for the current tax year and include a backdated claim for the previous four tax years.

How much will I get back?

This will depend on a number of factors including how much your annual fees cost and your tax situation. As a guide, members who are UK tax payers can claim up to 20 per cent on their RCN membership fees.

Where do I send my claim form?

Please send your claim form to HMRC and not to the RCN. Their address for submitting tax relief claims is HMRC, PAYE and Self Assessment, PO Box 1970, Liverpool, L75 1WX.

Where can I find out more information?

If you have questions about your RCN membership or want confirmation of fees that you have paid to the RCN, call RCN Direct on 0345 772 6100 (option one) or email the membership team, and they will be able to give you the information to complete your claim form.

Details of your NMC registration fees can be obtained by contacting the NMC.