Your web browser is outdated and may be insecure

The RCN recommends using an updated browser such as Microsoft Edge or Google Chrome


The Welfare Service cannot offer you housing, but may be able to advise you when you are facing difficult housing decisions.

For example, we can offer advice on negotiating with your landlord if you're in arrears because of a change in circumstance.

How the RCN Welfare Service can help

The RCN Welfare Service can:

  • offer advice on negotiating with your landlord if you're in arrears because of a change in circumstance.
  • advise and assist you if your landlord is seeking possession
  • advise you of your options in relation to your housing situation 

If you are struggling to pay your rent or mortgage

If you're worried about being able to pay your rent or mortgage because of your financial situation (e.g. reduction or loss of income) then you may benefit from doing a benefits check, as you may have entitlements that you're unaware of. You can also see our pages Increasing your income and/or worried about meeting your housing costs.

If you're struggling to pay your mortgage, see the website: Mortgage arrears or problems paying your mortgage.

Country specific advice on housing

For country specific advice about housing, renting, repossession, eviction, homelessness and more, see:

Useful links

Housing Benefit: Housing Benefit or Local Housing Allowance (LHA) rates, eligibility, claim form, calculator, appeals, 'discretionary payments'

Council housing: How to apply for a council house or flat, housing waiting lists, types of tenancies, the Right to Buy scheme and repairs, complaining about the council, etc. If you are in Northern Ireland, see Housing Advice NI: Applying for social housing in Northern Ireland

Housing association homes: How to apply for a housing association home, types of tenancy agreement and the Right to Acquire

Local Housing Allowance: How Local Housing Allowance rates are set and used to work out Housing Benefit.

Housing costs and Universal Credit: Universal Credit can include help with housing costs, paying your landlord, what to do if you cannot pay your rent, other help you can get

Apply for sheltered housing: Find sheltered or supported housing from your council with facilities such as alarms or wardens: for elderly, disabled or vulnerable people

Welfare Service

Get expert support and advice on benefits, tax credits, debt, and housing.


Book an appointment

Find out how to book an appointment to speak to one of our advisers, and how to prepare for your appointment.
money and debt

Debt and money management

Information and resources to help you understand your financial situation, with tips on preparing a budget to manage your debts.
benefits advice

Benefit decisions

If you're confused by a change or stop to your benefits, we offer advice on understanding and challenging benefit decisions.