arrow_up-blue blog branches consultations events facebook-icon facebook-icon2 factsheet forum-icon forum hands key link location lock mail measure menu_plus news pdf pdf2 phone policies publications related search share subjectguide twitter-icon word instagram-icon youtube-icon
Regulation and related issues

Legal support

From the nursing legal experts

As an RCN member, you have access to the largest in-house specialist legal department of any union or professional association in the UK. 

If you need help with work-related problems, or have been referred to your professional body, we have the expertise to advise and represent you.  

We also have specialist lawyers who can support you with a personal injury claim. And, if you need free legal advice on non-work matters - or advice on wills and probate - we can help with that too.  

Nursing and Midwifery Council

If you are referred to the NMC for a Fitness to Practise investigation,  the RCN can help you. 

RCN Legal Services have the largest team of NMC specialists of any organisation in the UK and help members with nearly  2,000 cases a year. 

Our results show that our members are less likely to be struck off and more likely to receive no sanction.  

We understand how to support you to put forward your best case. As soon as you hear from the NMC, contact us straight away - we're here to help you. 

Involved in a police matter

Read our advice on what you need to know if you’ve been asked to attend a police interview due to a work-related incident.

If you've received a caution, charge, conditional discharge or conviction in relation to a criminal office, contact us quickly – registrants have an obligation to notify the NMC.

We can help you.

Personal injury

As an RCN member, you can apply for assistance with a personal injury claim on work and non-work matters. 

Find out how our expert lawyers can assist you. 

Free legal advice

Your membership gives you access to 30 minutes free legal advice on non-work matters, including family law.  

Apply by completing the short form in MyRCN.

Planning for your future

Do you need help and advice with Will writing, Probate, Trusts  or Lasting Power of Attorney?

Find out more about how RCN Law can help you. 

Employment law

Our specialist in-house lawyers cover all aspects of employment law from unfair dismissals and redundancies to complex reorganisations, whistleblowing, TUPE, equal pay and discrimination cases - and we run cases in both the tribunals and the higher courts. 

If you have a problem at work, your first step is to seek our advice. Explore our comprehensive advice, contact our advice team by email at any time, or call 0345 772 6100 from 8.30am to 8.30pm, 7 days a week. 

Read our practical advice if you:

Exceptions to legal support and representation

Please note the RCN does not take on the following types of case:

  • libel and slander claims
  • small claims 
  • clinical negligence cases (that you wish to pursue)
  • motoring offences
  • cases in which you were not a member at the time the incident happened.

Get help

As an RCN member, you can find answers to your questions about work - and more - in our comprehensive advice. You can also find out how to contact the advice team. 

Search our advice