Landlords' duty to check immigration status
The Immigration Act 2014 states that landlords have a duty to check a person’s immigration status.
A landlord may be fined up to £3,000 per adult if they cannot evidence that their tenant is legally in the UK (social housing, convents, monasteries, care homes and refuges are exempt from these requirements).
You may be asked to provide evidence every time your tenancy agreement is renewed, alternatively your landlord may write to you on a fixed term basis to request up to date confirmation of your status in the UK.
Your landlord can also use the Home Office checking service.
Our Immigration Advice Service is here to support and assist RCN members who are required to produce evidence of their right to enter into a tenancy agreement.
We can prepare a letter of support which confirms your legal status in the UK. If you would like assistance with this please contact us.
You will need to provide us with:
- the date you came into the UK
- the date you renewed and were granted any visas
- confirmation of any outstanding applications you have made (Recorded Delivery number)
- copy of your passport, current and expired visas
- emails and/or letters from your employer confirming you are working under the terms of your visa (if appropriate)
How to contact us
If you're an RCN member needing advice on immigration matters, you can contact the RCN on 0345 772 6100 (option 2). Lines are open 8:30am - 5pm on weekdays, and 9am - 4pm on weekends.
We're also available via live chat or email.
- Biometric Residence Permit cards (BRP)
- English language requirements for ILR and citizenship
- General Immigration advice
- Health and Care Visas and the Immigration Health Surcharge FAQ
- Landlords' duty to check immigration status
- NMC requirements for overseas qualified nurses
- Preparing for IELTS, OET and OSCE exams
- Status of EU Nationals and their family members
- UK Visa and Citizenship Application Service (UKVCAS)
- Windrush Scheme
We're here for you
If you're an RCN member needing advice on immigration matters, contact the RCN on 0345 772 6100 (open 8:30am-5pm on weekdays, and 9-4pm on weekends). We're also available via live chat or email.