NMC requirements for overseas qualified nurses
NMC update: COVID-19 temporary registration for eligible overseas candidatesIf you have already booked a place at an OSCE exam centre, you may be eligible to apply to join the NMC’s COVID-19 temporary register. For further information, please see the NMC's page COVID-19 temporary registration for overseas candidates
Changes to the assessment of English language competence
In 2017, the NMC made changes and revisions to the way they assess English language competence. This included providing applicants with additional options to demonstrate their proficiency in English, recognising the OET as an alternative to IELTS, and lowering the accepted IELTS writing score from 7, down to 6.5.
Information and resources
There is information on preparing for IELTS, OET and OSCE exams, including where to find helpful resources, practice materials and sample tests.
Further support for RCN members
If your immigration status will be affected by any of your test results, you can access the RCN's Immigration Advice Service.
You can find exam and test preparation books and eBooks using our Library subject guide. RCN members can borrow books and access eBooks online.
- Biometric Residence Permit cards (BRP)
- English language requirements for ILR and citizenship
- General Immigration advice
- Health and Care Visas and the Immigration Health Surcharge FAQ
- Landlords' duty to check immigration status
- NMC requirements for overseas qualified nurses
- Preparing for IELTS, OET and OSCE exams
- Status of EU Nationals and their family members
- UK Visa and Citizenship Application Service (UKVCAS)
- Windrush Scheme