Enhancing the profile of midwifery both within and beyond the RCN
- Bladder and Bowel Care in Childbirth Guidance (2021)
- Leaving No-One Behind. The role of the nursing profession in achieving the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals in the UK (April 2021)
- Become a midwife. Advice on beginning your midwifery career.
- Midwifery at the RCN: Supporting Midwives, Student Midwives and Maternity Support Workers (2021). This leaflet explains how the RCN supports midwives, student midwives and maternity support workers.
- RCN professional forums: Midwifery Forum (2020) This PowerPoint presentation provides further information about the role of the Midwifery Forum.
- RCN publication. Managing the Disposal of Pregnancy Remains: RCN guidance for nursing and midwifery practice.
- HSIB (2021) HSIB Maternity programme year in review 2020/21
- NICE (2021) Inducing labour. This guideline covers the circumstances for inducing labour, methods of induction, assessment, monitoring, pain relief and managing complications.
- United Nations Population Fund (2021) The State of the World’s Midwifery 2021.This report highlights a global shortage of 900,000 midwives.
International Confederation of Midwives
- Planned pregnancies and contraception services for women
- Ethical Recruitment of Midwives
- Impact of climate change
- Gender equality and pay equity for midwives
- Midwife-led Continuity of Care.
One of the reasons that I wanted to join the forum committee was that currently in nursing and midwifery there are questions around professional identity, scope of practice, new and developing standards and the introduction of different roles. I truly understand the emotional labour that these influences have on members in addition to the retention and recruitment difficulties for many employers. Being a member of the committee affords me with exciting and varied opportunities to engage within practise and policy through collaboration with others to build authentic sustained interdisciplinary networks. I am proud of the national engagement and outputs that we are part of and produce through working together and sharing different perspectives.