EU citizens at the selected Trusts will take part in a private managed live trial that will enable participants to make real applications for settled status through the new digital process which is due to be rolled out at the end of this year.
Regional Director for the RCN in the North West, Estephanie Dunn said: “Uncertainties and nervousness around Brexit has seen EU nurses leaving the NHS in their droves. Whilst this is just one of the contributing factors to staffing shortages in our NHS Trusts, it is one that is placing significant and unprecedented pressure on already stretched services.
“EU nurses contribute significantly to the regions health and social care and bring with them a huge range of skills, expertise and knowledge. The risk of losing this workforce would be devastating. We therefore welcome the opportunity to get this process moving in our region at the earliest opportunity as providing these nurses the ability to plan their futures cannot be underestimated as a mechanism to stem the flow of EU nurses from the UK.
“For the participating Trusts, we see it enabling them to put more robust workforce planning in place and deploy the right numbers of staff with the right skills and abilities to deliver safe care.”
In a statement issued today, the Home Office said that the initial pilot phase will be accessible by invite only. Up to 4,000 applicants will be able to apply on a voluntary basis.
Assuming they are eligible, all those who go through the process will be granted settled status.
Notes to Editors
The 12 NHS Trusts taking part in the private beta phase starting from 28 August are:
• Aintree University Hospital NHS Foundation Trust
• Blackpool Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
• Countess of Chester Hospital NHS Foundation Trust
• East Lancashire Hospitals NHS Trust
• Lancashire Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
• Liverpool Heart and Chest Hospital NHS Foundation Trust
• Liverpool Women’s NHS Foundation Trust
• Southport and Ormskirk Hospital NHS Trust
• The Royal Liverpool and Broadgreen University Hospitals NHS Trust
• The Walton Centre NHS Foundation Trust
• Warrington and Halton Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
• Wirral University Teaching Hospital NHS Foundation Trust