arrow_up-blue blog branches consultations events facebook-icon facebook-icon2 factsheet forum-icon forum hands key link location lock mail measure menu_plus news pdf pdf2 phone policies publications related search share subjectguide twitter-icon word youtube-icon
Health care professionals membership

Health practitioner membership

For health care assistants, assistant practitioners, trainee nursing associates and other support workers

Are you ready to join the world’s largest union and professional body for nurses, health care assistants, assistant practitioners and trainee nursing associates? For as little as a few pounds a month, you'll have access to workplace representation and support when you need it, plus a range of other benefits. And you'll be part of a worldwide movement to change patient care for the better.

Legal support

Enjoy peace of mind with access to the largest legal team of any nursing union in the UK. We're there for you.

Learning resources

Develop and grow with access to online learning resources, local learning events and Europe’s largest nursing library.

Workplace support

You’ll never be alone: we have reps across the UK, in all sectors, to support you if you need advice or help at work

Your voice

We campaign on the issues that matter to the nursing community. We are the voice of nurses, HCAs, APs and TNAs.

Advice service

Our confidential advice service is there to help you with workplace issues, your career, welfare rights and more.

Member discounts

RCNXtra can help you save money on everything from your mobile phone bill to fun days out with the family.
 Membership  Monthly rate  *After tax relief 
 HCAs, APs and TNAs first year discount membership
 £4.10  £3.28
 HCAs, APs and TNAs full membership
 £8.20  £6.56
 HCAs, APs and TNAs voluntary break membership
 £4.10  n/a**
 HCAs and APs retired membership  £0.84  n/a

* tax relief may vary depending on your tax situation

** however, tax relief is available if you are paying basic rate tax


To be eligible for Health Practitioner, you must work providing health or social care under the guidance and supervision of a registered nurse, midwife or health visitor and not be on a professional register (such as NMC or HCPC), unless it is a register held by the Scottish Social Council or the Northern Ireland Social Care Council.

Tax relief

If you pay tax, you can claim tax relief on your RCN subscription. If you haven't claimed before, you can backdate your claim by up to four years.