Discover what the RCN Nurses in Management and Leadership Forum is working on and what we've got planned
How we represent Forum members
As a forum we exist to
- Formulate thinking and responses relating to current health care challenges
- Interpret information to influence practice and care delivery
- Be a conduit for management and leadership information to our members
- Influence and challenge professional thinking relating to management and leadership policy development
- Recognise and advance the capabilities and potential of our members to deliver excellent leadership and management
- To support the development of the emergent and the maturing of peoples of leadership regardless of role and throughout their career pathway
- Connect forum members and encourage engagement across all networks
Our aim is to
- Support members in recognising and developing their capabilities to demonstrate leadership qualities regardless of their position
- Connect forum members and encourage collective engagement to share information to unlock their capabilities
What we are currently working on:
Forum Steering Committee strategy day
The 2022 strategy day was held in March. The notes are pending but we are pleased to confirm the continuation in 2022 of the Emergent Leaders and the Equality, Diversity and Inclusion work streams.
The work of the Emerging Leaders project as depicted in the poster captures the most current contemporary evidence (Council of Deans 2018, Nursing Now 2020), highlighting the importance of increasing the confidence of nurses to recognise their potential as leaders, with core skills and competencies such as: role modelling, emotional intelligence, motivational and organisational skills, courage, the ability to voice concerns and have difficult conversations.
As a Forum committee our role is to work on behalf of our Forum Membership and collaborate with the other Professional Forums to have an informed viewpoint on the contemporary challenges in leadership and management. Our voice is reflecting and speaks for our members. Our expertise comes from our practice areas, professional experience and through what our members experiences. The committee will focus its efforts sin 2020 in two priority areas:
• Equality inclusion and diversity
• Emerging leaders whether new into post or developing their leadership identity throughout their career pathway
The majority of our work is delivered through social media platforms. We have an active presence on Twitter and Facebook, contributing to the debates in our priority areas through Blogs, articles, podcasts, and webinars. We have an active presence at Congress, materials are available on this page and via the RCN recordings of Congress.
Your views and contributions are important to us, we are after all here to represent your views and support you in your development needs as far as is possible. Reflecting your views and issues we will also contribute to formal RCN consultation and reviews. Please connect with us via social media. We look forward to working on your behalf in raising the profile all aspects of our management and leadership responsibilities as nurses.
Nurses in Management and Leadership: Congress fringes
Becoming an effective leader by developing your influencing skills June 2022. View the resource list.
Leadership, energy, change and you. 15 May 2018. View powerpoint presentation.
Personal Resilience as a critical tool for successful management and leadership. 14 May 2017. View powerpoint presentation.
Page last updated - 16/06/2022