The nursing role
Getting it right every time
- People should be seen as individuals, asked what is important to them and involved in all discussions and decisions about their wishes and care.
- Everyone should get fair access to care no matter where they live or what their circumstances.
- People should be supported to be as comfortable as possible and all care and treatment should be reviewed regularly to ensure that this happens.
- The care the individual receives should be coordinated so that everyone involved is aware of the plans; changes should be shared and transitions managed in a way that ensures the person and the people who are important to them are part of this. The individual should be able to access support from informed staff day or night.
- The individual should be assured that all staff involved in their care are competent, confident and compassionate.
- The community and the public also have a role to play. They should be able to have conversations about death and dying, including what can be done outside the health and social care systems.
Page last updated - 03/08/2019