Leadership and professional advice
The RCN, through the professional lead for Infection Prevention and Control (IPC), provides visible and clinical leadership in support of Infection Prevention and Control and antimicrobial resistance (AMR). In addition to our strategic activity, we work to ensure that any resources we develop add value to our members and stakeholders, do not duplicate existing available information and are quality assured.
The RCN hosts an IPC Network which supports the delivery of RCN focused projects or resources. On 25th August we will be launching a new IPC network to support nurses and others working with Children and Young people (CYP). Additionally, the RCN is actively involved in strategic work programmes and stakeholder or expert reference group meetings to influence and develop policy on Healthcare Associated Infections, and AMR for all countries of the UK. This work closely aligns with RCN activity supporting patient safety, quality improvement and sepsis recognition and management.
Specific examples of current, strategic work we are currently supporting include:
Infection prevention and control
- High Consequence Infectious Disease planning
- Implementation of a training strategy for infection control in the European Union (an ECDC funded project)
- NHS Improvement Prevention of Healthcare Associated Gram-Negative Blood Stream Infections programme
- Procurement of products and consumables – see Small Changes Big Differences
- European Network to Promote Infection Prevention for Patient Safety (EUNETIPS)
Our work supporting efforts to reduce the risk of AMR is diverse and more detail can be found on our Antimicrobial resistance page.
- Advising the European Public Health Alliance (EPHA) on the development and implementation of their AMR strategy
- Membership of the English surveillance programme for antimicrobial utilisation and resistance (ESPAUR) group
- Activities supporting European Antibiotic Awareness day and World Antibiotic Awareness Week
- Membership of the human and animal health alliance
- Development and implementation of new rapid diagnostics
- Development of a new BSI standard for antimicrobial impregnated surfaces.