Your web browser is outdated and may be insecure

The RCN recommends using an updated browser such as Microsoft Edge or Google Chrome

diverse nursing colleagues on break

Immigration Advice Service

If you're an RCN member and are already in the UK, you can get confidential support and assistance on immigration issues.

In addition to lots of online advice and resources, our experienced team of immigration solicitors can offer RCN members expert guidance and advice.

Important announcement regarding Immigration Rules

In December 2023, the Home Secretary announced important changes to the Immigration Rules would come into effect in spring 2024. The Government has now announced the specific dates changes will be made.

From 11 March 2024, care workers and senior care workers who have applied to work in the UK on a Health and Care visa will not be able to apply for their partners/spouses to join them.  Care workers already in the UK with a Health and Care visa, but have not yet applied for the dependants to join them in the UK will not be affected by this rule change. Their dependants will still be able to apply to join them.

The RCN Immigration Advice Service

Our immigration solicitors can help with matters such as:

  • extensions and changes to current visas
  • situations where your immigration status is unclear
  • settlement applications, such as Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR) and permanent residency (PR)
  • appeals and administrative reviews where appropriate
  • legal advice or clarification of immigration law regarding employment issues, e.g. suspension, dismissal and redundancy.

What we can advise on

  • The Health and Care visa (formally called the Tier 2 (General) visa)
  • Student visas
  • Domestic violence and immigration applications
  • Changing or extending your current visa
  • Applications based on marriage/civil partnership
  • European Settled Status Scheme applications
  • British citizenship
  • Human rights claims (10 years route to settlement)
  • Refugee settlement applications
  • Appeals and administrative reviews
  • Visa fee waiver applications

What we can't advise on

The RCN Immigration Service cannot offer any advice or assistance with asylum applications.

We can however assist with finding accredited advisors who will be able to assist with asylum claims.


How to contact the RCN Immigration Advice Service

If you need advice on immigration matters please have a look at our resources and advice guides first as your question may be answered there.

If you do need further advice or support, contact the RCN advice team who will discuss your situation in more detail, and explore whether you need to be referred to the RCN Immigration Advice Service for advice or an appointment.

Work related issues and other support

RCN members can also get help and advice on work related issues, or issues involving your career, finances, emotional health, and more.

Confidentiality and data protection

Confidentiality is central to the service we offer. Any information concerning clients of the service, including whether or not they have contacted the service, will remain confidential to the service.

No information will be passed to any outside organisation or individual, or to other staff or members of the RCN, without the client's specific request or explicit permission to do so. For more information about our obligations under the Data Protection Act 2018, please refer to the RCN’s Data Protection Officer (view our privacy policy).

Our solicitors are regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority (SRA) and the Office of the Immigration Services Commissioner (OISC)

Coming to the UK?

Information for overseas nursing staff and students coming to the UK.
People tapping debit card on contactless machine

Health and Care Worker visas and the Immigration Health Surcharge FAQs

Advice on eligibility, bringing family to the UK, what to do if you lose or leave your job, getting a second job, and applying for indefinite leave.
UK visa with united jack passport cover

Online applications for visa, settlement or citizenship

Advice on the UK Visa and Citizenship Application Service.
Close up of a Biometric Resident Permit Card

Biometric Residence Permit cards (BRP)

Information about Biometric Resident Permits, how to replace them, and how the government is phasing them out.
EU themed jigsaw puzzle (dark blue with yellow stars) with a missing piece. In the space of the missing piece you can see the Union JacK

EU Settled Status Scheme

Advice for EU or EEA nationals on current rights and applying for residency

Old black and white photo of a ship full of people. Written on the front of the boat is "Empire Windrush London"

The Windrush Scheme

If you’re settled in the UK but don't have a document to prove it, you may be eligible to apply to the ‘Windrush Scheme’.

Eligibility for Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR)

Check the Home Office website to see if and when you can apply for ILR.

Preparing for IELTS, OET and OSCE exams

Resources and useful links to help you prepare for your exams 

Language requirements

English language requirements for Indefinite Leave and citizenship

NMC requirements for Overseas Nurses

NMC requirements for overseas nurses wanting to join the register

Eva's story

International Nurse resources

If you are an Internationally Educated Nurse (IEN) working within the UK, welcome to the RCN! Our new International Nurse Resource is packed with:

  • Advice guides for overseas nursing staff and students (employment contracts, work experience, bringing your family with you, the UK Health System, etc)
  • Guide to common English Expressions
  • International Nursing Associations and live events especially for internationally educated nursing staff
  • Case studies and videos, and much more.

You can also check out our International Member Case Studies, which showcases some of the amazing work, advocacy, and campaigning that both the RCN Immigration Advice Service and the wider RCN have been doing to support our international members.

We're here for you

If you're an RCN member needing advice on immigration matters, please contact the RCN Advice Team.